Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Beef Stew (Ree Drummond)

(Reviewed by Tammy)

This is my favorite recipe from this book so far.  Who doesn't like stew?  It was so flavorful and satisfying.  Ideal for a cold winter's night.  At the time I'm writing this, I've made this stew twice.  The second time I made 2 changes-I added red pepper flakes because we prefer foods that are spicier and I also omitted the beer-I just didn't like the flavor of it the first time.
This has to simmer for a couple of hours so be sure to allow time for that.

INGREDIENTS
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
2 pounds beef stew meat
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can/bottle of beer (I omitted)
4 cups beef broth
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 new potatoes, quartered
4 carrots, roughly sliced
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
minced parsley, for garnish (optional)

1.  Start by heating the olive oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Throw in the stew meat and quickly brown it on all sides.

2.  Remove the meat to a clean plate and set aside.

3.  Throw the onion into the pot, then reduce the heat to low.

4.  Stir the onion for about 3 minutes or until softened.  Then add the garlic and cook for about a minute.

5.  Pour in the beer, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, paprika, sugar, salt and pepper.

6.  Finally return the meat to the pot, cover it, and simmer the stew over very low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.  If the liquid level gets too low, add 1 to 2 cups hot water as needed.

7.  Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot.Simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.

8.  To thicken the stew, remove 1 cup of cooking liquid and whisk in the flour.  Pour into the pot and simmer another 10 minutes.  Add the parsley at the end if desired.  

9.  Dish up and enjoy!
(I served mine over rice)





1 comment:

  1. Mmm... sounds and looks delicious! I like the idea of serving it over rice since my hubby loves anything over rice :)

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete