(Reviewed by Tammy)
This pizza is a carnivore's dream! Seriously there was a pile of meat on it! My husband was out of town so it was just us 4 girls who tried it. Everyone gave it a thumbs up! I have to say, one piece filled me up. The meat was super tender with an incredible flavor from the pineapple mango juice-just a hint of sweet. Combine that with the cumin, chili powder and tomatillo salsa and you have a marvelous flavor.
If you're thinking of trying this recipe, allow yourself plenty of time. The roast needs to cook 3-4 hours and the crust has to rise for an hour.
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
One 3-4 pound chuck roast
2 Tablespoons canola oil
Two 12-ounce cans pineapple, papaya or mango juice
1 recipe Pizza Dough (found here)
Olive oil for drizzling
1 cup jarred tomatillo salsa
12 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced and sautéed until golden
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced and sautéed until golden
3 green onions, sliced
sour cream and guacamole for serving (optional)
Let's get started.
1. Preheat the oven to 300.
2. Mix the chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt.
3. Rub the spices on both sides of the roast.
4. Heat the canola oil in a large pot over high heat and sear both sides of the roast until brown.
5. Now onto the juice. Pour both cans into the pot with the meat. Cover and roast for about 4 hours or until the meat is falling apart. Use 2 forks to shred the meat, then return it to the liquid to keep warm.
6. Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle, as thin as it will go. Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil and transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Spoon on the tomatillo salsa, then spread thinly all over the surface of the dough.
7. Lay the mozzarella slices all over the top, then add the yellow onion and pepper.
8. Bake the pizza for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
9. Lay the warm shredded meat over the top. Sprinkle with the sliced onions, slice into pieces and serve! Try some guacamole or sour cream on top.